Saturday, February 20, 2016

Why should I obey?



Moses and Aaron tell Pharaoh what the Lord says... Pharaoh's response, "Who is the Lord that I should obey him? I do not know the Lord."

I think a lot of people brush past this point and move on quick to get to the meat of Chapter 5 I mean after all God already said he was going to harden Pharaoh's heart. But, this really stuck out to me when studying this chapter for our review tomorrow.

Sometimes we are super quick to jump on people about things AKA "SIN" (and you can replace sin with whatever nasty you want) and say "you need to stop doing "SIN" because God commands it, and I can prove it right here in verse, whatever"

What we lose sight of is Pharaoh's response which was "Who is the Lord that I should obey him? I do not know the Lord."

Yes I am aware that this is was a particular response in one instance in one moment in time, and that we shouldn't take a verse out of scripture to apply it to a situation but, don't we do that all time? And let's think about how much this applies to our current generation (or the one below mine). So many people do not know the Lord it's actually quite frightening. And by know I mean really know Him and if they don't know the Lord why would they obey him? Why would they even want to? It's no wonder why they look at us like we are cray when we do things or are willing not to do things? Or wonder at the nonsense we believe, the stuff we "give up", "won't do" because we feel it is "morally" wrong because we KNOW HIM or because we have a RELATIONSHIP with HIM.

Yet when you don't know the Lord why would you want to obey a commandment of His? Why would you even understand the commandments or think that they are wrong? Why would you fear Him or delight in doing what is right to sit in his presence? Heck even Knowing Him and having a relationship with Him does not always assure obedience to Him at all times (hint, hint, just look at Abraham, Jacob, Moses and that's a few names leading up to Exodus my friends). 

So when we meet people and we find ourselves wondering why they are doing "SIN" maybe instead of judging them we should approach them with the classic line of "Hey have you met my friend Jesus?" (just kidding don't do that.) Maybe instead show them why we do obey the Lord. Why obedience is a good thing.


No comments:

Post a Comment