Monday, June 3, 2013

Bihu the gift that keeps on giving...



Some of you may have seen the pictures, if not you can see them here, I posted of a Bihu celebration that we celebrated in the home. That celebration happened back in April. As of the 2nd week in May there were still Bihu celebrations occurring. When Indians celebrate Spring they really, really go all out. I would love to tell you what Bihu is really about, but alas I can't. Mainly because I am still uncertain as to what exactly we are celebrating for so long. I think it has something to do with spring, dressing up, fireworks, love, singing and dancing. Other than that and what Wikapedia tells me I still don't get it.

I still don't understand the words to the songs nor the steps to the dances. I don't undertand why the fireworks go off for 30 minuts right as I am drifting off into a nice peaceful dream that either includes scenes from LOTRs, SGA or Zach Levi. I don't get why the drums are so loud and the singing last until all hours of the night in a high pitched voice.

That being said the people here apparently love all that I don't understand. They love the music, the dancing, the dressing up. The love the sales, the random groups of dancers that come house to house asking for money in order to dance. They love the fireworks, and the food.

So apparently Bihu is something that is deeply important to the Assamese people and while I may not completely understand it. I have to admit I admire their dedication to it. I admire how serious they take it, how much they enjoy it, and the simple fact that they want to celebrate it.

Thankfully as I am writing this one I can say the celebrations have officially ended here in Assam for at least another month or two. For I was just informed there are 4 different Bihus... and to that I say bring on the drums, dancing, dressing up, singing, and food. Cause when in Assam I say do like an Assamese person would do. Bring on the Bihu.


No comments:

Post a Comment