Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Weekly Bible study

One of the perks of being here is the daily bible devotions we do every morning. Because of that I have been really able to dig deep on some scriptures and work in my own personal Bible study time.

Today we studied 2 Corinthians 1:3-11 which talks about comfort from God and how we are comforted in our troubles so that we can comfort those who may go through the same struggles later on. Just like Jesus suffered through everything we currently face, will face or have faced, so that when we need comfort we can trust that He does understand. That He can truly comfort us. This study reminded me of Psalm 13 where David ask:
How long O Lord? Will you forget me forever? How long will you hide your face from me? How long must I wrestle with my thoughts and every day have sorrow in my heart? How long will my enemy triumph over me?

Don't we sometimes feel like this? Like God has forgotten us... that maybe we have been cut off from God's favor. We may experience deep depression in our soul daily. Not to mention that we might feel humiliation that here we are proclaiming that God will save us from this heartach and yet he hasn't. It makes it look as if we are on the losing side of the battle.  I know I have felt like this numerous times over and even all of those feelings at the same time. It is sometimes hard in the midst of a crisis to not wonder Lord have you forgotten me....

So what can we do... when you continue to read on in Psalm 13 it says "But I trust in your unfailing love; my heart rejoices in your salvation. I will sing to the Lord, for he has been good to me." How beautiful is that. Even in the midst of a depression even when the enemy had David pinned down and all hope seemed lost... he was able to to praise God. To trust in his unfailing love and to rejoice in his salvation. Not only was David facing death, but he was singing to the Lord about his unfailing love.

How awe inspiring that pasage was to me. It hits on the fact we must first trust in God's unfailing love and mercy. Then rejoice that we have been chosen by God for the most precious gift of salvation. Knowing that Christ was sent down from Heaven to live as a poor man, to experience life as we have, to face everything we suffer through. Only to be mocked, spat on and cursed. Then he was beaten and hung on a cross for our sins. He died then rose again so that we can have an enternal life with God. When you look at that can you not sing his praises nor be reassured that this crisis will pass and take comfort because God has been very good to me. He comforts me and His love will never fail. 

No comments:

Post a Comment