Friday, February 1, 2013

1st week

Well its been 3 days since I've arrived and the good news is... it feels like I've lived with these people and in this place my whole life. Other than the staring at me when I walk down the street and the language barrier its strangely familiar. I will admit it is dirtier and louder than home. The people can be just as rude here as at home but in general most just want to help you anyway they can.

For the last 3 days I have been working with the ladies that work here by planning activities, counseling sessions, and play therapy. I have helped them shop for any and ALL supplies that are needed so that the house/school is up and running by Monday. In fact yesterday we left after tea for the market and stayed out until 8 pm when we managed to grab Subway and come home to eat. Yes you read that right we have a Subway here as well as a KFC and a Pizza Hut LOL. We got everything we needed except for shoes which is what we will be shopping for today.

I will say the flow of life is different here. We wake up eat breakfast, then 2 hours later have tea, then lunch is at 1 then tea is at 3 and dinner is usually around 7. Everyone goes home at 5 so dinners on me and let me just say these people have never heard of instant. EVERYTHING is made from scratch even at the restaurants. And EVERYTHING comes with rice even the noodle dishes. So going to the store I picked up a few items and thought the guy was going to flip that I didn't pick up rice at his place. I just told him we had some at home and next time I would get it from him.

So apparently India is currently on a health/fitness kick b/c every other block or so has a gym encouraging people to work out. At first I was shocked I mean 9 times out of 10 you are walking everywhere and at least when I was walking for stuff it was 3 to 5 miles round trip not to mention how much things weighed carrying them home. Then I found out that most people here don't walk unless it is right around the corner. So we are going to start working out everyday to help the staff get in shape and the girls will work out with us. I've never been more excited in my life (I know you hear the sarcasm dripping from my words). No I think it will be good for everyone including myself.

Not much to report other than the market and all day shopping experience. Still no girls we are thinking Tuesday will be the day, but we can still get one at anytime. My luggage did arrive so now I have everything in the world that I could need and anything I didn't bring I can buy here so that's a bonus. Next weekend we are going on an Elephant ride and eventually I am going to go to the bigger/Western cities to see the sights since that's more interesting then this city according to the women who work here. Oh here's an interesting side note at times I feel as if I live in a Disney movie b/c people around here just bust into random songs as they walk or sit in their homes, going to the bathrooms, or shopping no matter where they are at they will start singing. I guess instead of Disney I should've said Bollywood except there's no dancing LOL

So how's everything with you guys back at home? I hear it's snowing and cold? Coldest its been here was 50 degrees, but that's only in the early mornings... hope all is well!

Blessings

4 comments:

  1. I want to live where I can just burst into song while I'm using a public toilet!! So are you going to continue walking everywhere??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice that you are adjusting. Did the girls come on Tuesday as you thought?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa - Yeah its different not a good thing sometimes but otherwise entertaining especially when they try to sing American music but only know Friday and last as their only words from Last Friday Night by Katie Perry LOL I will try to record it. I will try to walk but sometimes its just too far. Like today we took an autobot a scooter with a backseat to the bazaar b/c it was 30 minutes away. One of the ladies I work with has a car but I stil prefer to walk.

    Court: not we haven't gotten them yet we are still doing some training and preparing. it will happen next week i think. Really thought its all in god's perfect timing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is the best way to look at it for sure

    ReplyDelete