Wednesday, January 30, 2013

I'm here!!!

Well folks I've arrived safe and sound. I've been here for a day and I've fallen in love... with the country ;)
It is so much to take in and surreal is the only way to describe it so far. I've done and learned so much in a day that it is hard to tell what I've done so I guess we shall start from the beginning.

The flights were unremarkable many were running to catch, but I got there. On the plane to London over the ocean no less the man sitting next to me had a heart attack. I believe he is fine, but never found out. I think my luggage is still in Delhi LOL luckily I was able to purchase everything I needed. Only thing missing that I regret r my pictures and good shoes. I am certain though that I will survive until then. Otherwise the airplane journey was great.

When I got here it was so overwhelming so many things to learn and keep track of. So many different cultures in one place. The food is different and hot. People we in America don't know hot... just a side note. Oh and everything has chunks of fat that the natives love. You actually have to ask for not fat and even then there are chunks and bones so you have to be really careful when eating the meat. The food is good and I've learned not to ask what it is even though 9 times out of 10 it is chicken or pork. We buy food daily which is good and fresh as long as you know what fresh is.

Since my luggage is lost I had to go and buy the basics which is interesting but pretty much like at home. We walk EVERYWHERE and we as walkers do not have the right away here. The cars will hit you b/c you should know that which I didn't luckily my companions did. There is a lot of dirt and people not to mention to the noise is just wow. That being said after an hour or so you learn to zone it out. I will say that I stand out like a sore thumb and everyone openly stares at me. I am also learning to zone that out. There is about a 12 hour difference between here and home so it will be a lot of early morning conversations for either side.

Right now we have not received our girls we are hoping by next week, but have been informed that we can get them at anytime. As soon as we do I will update. I'm living in the dorm area until we get girls then I will move out into an apartment hoping that has an American bathroom ;)

Right now there is a lot going on for prep, but not a lot of counseling. So I am getting a chance to know the women I work with and that has been fun. They are lovely people and God is doing great things in this house with these ladies and their families so I know it will be awesome what he will do when the girls arrive.

Can't think of anything else it could be part jet lag or part of the fact it is 7am now, but if I think of more I will just save it for the next post. Again thank you all for keeping me in your prayers and thoughts life is going good so far and I'm excited to see what God has in store for the rest of the journey.

Love you and many blessings!!!

2 comments:

  1. Great descriptions, I felt like I could visualize it all. Can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg I agree with you on the hot food!!! My mother is Korean and I love love love spicy food.
    But nearly every restaurant here is "americanized" and even food that is marked as hot comes out rather weak. When I ask for extra spicy I usually just get more sauce, but taste wise there is almost no bloody difference!

    But enough about food! Glad you arrived safe & sound :)
    I am sure your luggage will make it to you shortly lol.

    ReplyDelete