Friday, May 24, 2013

Rice, Rice, and please Lord no more rice

So some of you may know my woes of rice. For those few lucky enough to not hear this complaint I shall try not to come off as spoiled as I apparently am. In India the staple food here is rice. That means that every meal minus breakfast usually has some form of rice with it. The point of rice is the full effect you get after you eat it. I've heard and seen natives eat a WHOLE lot of food, noodles, chicken, rote, and beef only to go home and cook rice because they were hungry. Now don't get me wrong there are numerous ways to cook rice, and even more different flavours, textures and smells that rice have. And yes I am becoming very familiar with rice the differences, the things to look for, how to know if its fresh or not based on smell and etc...
 
So basically at lunch and dinner you are served rice which is considered a dry dish. This means that you will need dal and/or a gravy dish because you can't just eat a dry dish. Just like rice dal and gravy comes in many forms sometimes the gravy or dal is mixed with the chicken, but not usually. Usually you have a another dish of meat. So you eat rice, dal, and chicken for lunch everyday. No joke here and no offense meant when I say this but COME ON. Seriously?!?! Must we have that again? Can we mix it up with pork? What about no dal or rote whatever happened to serving rote? Or, or, or, could we just have some noodles just once? *crickets* No? I guess not.
 
Scary part the other day I had gone almost a week without rice at any meal... and you want to know the crazy part... I missed it?!?! Shocked yeah so was I its not natural I'm telling you. Luckily I got over and I'm now back to wondering if I really care that my rote isn't perfectly round or if I can live with semi-round rote in order to just not have to eat rice at this meal...

No comments:

Post a Comment